You can configure agents and agent relays so that the server initiates
the upload of HTTP requests over a designated size. This enables the server to
control the traffic across the network so that the volume of incoming requests
from many agents does not overload the network. The agent still initiates the
HTTP request as part of the process being executed, and a certain amount of
information is passed through to the server on every request. However, the
agent relay suspends any HTTP requests that are too large to pass through
directly and enables the server to process them when it is ready.
- This type of communication is sometimes referred to as
unidirectional communication, and the agent relay is referred to as passive,
because the server is initiating and regulating the HTTP communication.
- Only the inbound JMS port needs to be opened and the server
initiates all communications over the JMS tunnel.
Server-initiated HTTP communication using agent relays is shown in the
Server-initiated HTTP Communication
- Agents send concurrent requests through HTTP. Requests 1a, 1b and 1c
will be processed concurrently, but the figure shows only the processing of
- Every request coming to an agent relay from an agent will be put on
hold before the response from the server is provided. All the requests coming
from agents will be queued on an agent relay. The agent relay processes the
requests and assigns an internal ID to each of them.
- The server periodically polls the agent relay, and detects that the
agent relay has an incoming request. The agent relay sends the request ID
information to the server using JMS.
- When the server receives the request ID, it sends an HTTP request to
get the request body from the agent relay.
Depending on the size of the initial request, this step may be
omitted. For small requests, the body can be transferred using JMS during the
- After the server receives the body of the request, it processes it as
- After processing the request, the server sends the response to the
- The agent relay returns the response to the agent from the agent
relay using HTTP.
Tip: The agent relay installation option that controls this is
Connect the agent relay to a central server, which
should be set to
n for this scenario.
Copyright © 2011–2019 Micro Focus or one of its affiliates. All rights reserved.